Port Hedland has an exciting new project underway that will completely transform the town’s waterfront into an attractive and popular destination for locals and visitors.
KEE Group Northern Command (KGNC) has been supporting the delivery of the highly anticipated Spoilbank Marina project, by supplying necessary machinery and equipment to the site.
“We are very pleased to be supporting such a transformational project, both for the people of the town and the Port Authorities,” said KEE Director, Clayton Spiers. “We have been working in conjunction with MGN Civil who contacted us at the start of the project when they were looking for good machines and 24/7 mechanical support. MGN Civil was awarded the contract and has employed local contractors, operators and drivers to assist with the enormous project.”
The new Spoilbank Marina will create a vibrant new amenity for the entire Port Hedland community to enjoy. Additionally, it will alleviate the demand for existing boat launching facilities and improve access and safety for recreational boaters.
“Todd has been great to deal with. He sourced the right equipment for the job and has given excellent communication throughout”, MGN Civil -Construction Manager Mark Jeffery said of KGNC’s Branch Manager, Todd Fuller. “Anytime we’ve had a small issue with a machine, Todd has sent a mechanic straight away so we can quickly get on with the project. I would highly recommend KEE”.
What are the features of the Spoilbank Marina?
- A four-lane boat ramp
- 21 boat-pen marina with capacity to expand to 80 pens in the future
- Separate entrance channel to the main shipping channel
- Trailer parking for up to 200 vehicles
- Maintenance hardstand
- Publicly accessible breakwaters with pedestrian path
- Public recreation and event space and public amenities
- Public fishing jetty
- Water feature
- Shade structures at swimming beach
- Waterfront promenade to reflect the Yintha Kariyarra creation serpent story
- Public art and a cultural gathering space
How will the project benefit Hedland?
- Provides sheltered anchorage and meets current future demand for boat pens
- Doubles the current number of boat ramps, alleviating demand on existing boat launching facilities
- Provides vessels with safer access to deep water
- Improves social and recreational community amenities
- Supports the future of the West End as a vibrant, historic arts and cultural hub
- Delivers the first stage of Marina and Waterfront Masterplan to attract and retain residents and built a vibrant community offering a fantastic lifestyle
The Spoilbank Marina project is being funded by the State Government, Town of Port Hedland and BHP.
Once the construction is complete, Pilbara Ports Authority will own and operate the marina The marina is expected to be completed by late 2022 and to be operational by 2023.